WESTECH ENVIRONMENTAL Asbestos, Mold, Lead Testing
To find a California Certified Asbestos Consultant click on link above
Asbestos Consultants and Site Surveillance Technicians Certification
The Division of Occupational Safety and Health maintains a list of individuals who are certified to practice as Asbestos Consultants or Site Surveillance Technicians. The status of any individual whose name does not appear on the list may be verified by email at [email protected]. Certification is required by Title 8, California Code of Regulations, Article 2.6, Section 341.15 for individuals who contract to provide health and safety services for asbestos-related work (projects involving more than 100 square feet of asbestos-containing construction material).
A fillable pdf examination application packet is available that describes the requirements for an individual to become certified. The examinations described in the application packet are given monthly at locations which alternate between northern and southern California. The northern exam location is at the Asbestos Unit office in Sacramento at 2424 Arden Way, Suite 495. The southern exam location is the Carmel Room in the State Building on 320 West 4th Street in downtown Los Angeles. The exam schedule shows the currently scheduled examination dates and should be used when requesting a re-examination or to reschedule an examination.
Building owners/homeowners should verify consultant qualifications by observing both the photo identification card issued by the Division of Occupational Safety and Health and also the required U.S. EPA AHERA refresher training certificates. Note that Asbestos Consultants must maintain current accreditation as a Building Inspector, Contractor/Supervisor, Project Designer, and Management Planner. Site Surveillance Technicians must be current as a Building Inspector and Contractor/Supervisor. Both the photo identification card and the training certificates display expiration dates; individuals are not permitted to act as Consultants or Technicians after any of the documents have expired.
- Asbestos Standards in Construction1, Shipyards2, and General Industry3.
- The General Industry Standard relating to Non-Asbestiform Tremolite, Anthophyllite, and Actinolite.4
If you wish to file a complaint with Cal/OSHA about hazardous exposure to asbestos fibers or non-asbestiform fibers in your workplace, follow the instructions for filing a complaint with the Cal/OSHA Enforcement district office that serves your job location.
Asbestos Contractor Registration
Registration with Cal/OSHA is required for contractors and employers that remove asbestos having an asbestos fiber content of more than 0.1% and 100 square feet or more of surface area of asbestos-containing material.5
Asbestos Consultant and Technician Certification
Certification is required for consultants and technicians conducting asbestos sampling or planning and overseeing asbestos removal projects of 100 square feet or more of surface area of asbestos-containing construction materials.5 See also applicable California Title 8 regulations, Section 1529(q) and Section 341.15.
Asbestos Trainers Approval
Cal/OSHA has a program for approving Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) asbestos training courses.5
Required Notifications by Employers Regarding Carcinogens
Employers are required to notify Cal/OSHA in the following situations:6
The use of a carcinogen must be reported to the Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit.
Carcinogen Release Incidents
Incidents involving the release of a carcinogen must be reported to:
- The Cal/OSHA Enforcement district office in Region 1, 2, 3, or 4 that serves your job location; and
- The Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit.
Contact the Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit
Cal/OSHA Asbestos and Carcinogen Unit
2424 Arden Way Suite 495
Sacramento, CA 95825-2417
Email:[email protected] (contractor registrations, and carcinogen reports)
Email:[email protected] (consultant & technician certifications, and AHERA course approvals)
More information about asbestos ...
- Asbestos Registrants: Check the registration status of Cal/OSHA-registered asbestos contractors & employers.
- Asbestos Information: General information, asbestos regulations, and notification rules.
- Asbestos Resources: Regulatory agencies, technical information and compliance data.
5 Labor Code sections 6501.5-6510 and 9020-9022
6 Labor Code sections 9030-9032 and 8 CCR section 5203
Serving Sacramento County CA , Marin County , CA Bat Area, CA Yolo COunty, CA
Asbestos survey, Asbestos Test, Asbestos Inspection, asbestos clearance, Lead, Mold, Silica, Black Water, Bio Hazarda environmental Inspection, Mold Testing mold clearance, Sacramento Air Quality Management District, Yolo County Air Quality District, Bay Area Air Quality Management District.
- Environmental Testing for Lead and Mold
- OSHA Health and Safety Training
- Asbestos Surveys
- Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality Management District
- Yolo County Air Quality Management District
- Bay Area Air Quality Management District Building Permits (BAAQMD)
- Form More Asbestos Information-
1. What are the specific occupational regulations for asbestos construction work?
- Asbestos-in-Construction-Title 8 of the California Code of Regulations (8 CCR) 1529 at: www.dir.ca.gov/Title8/sb4a4.html See 8 CCR 5208 for general industry and 8 CCR 8358 for shipyard rules at www.dir.ca.gov/samples/search/query.htm and search for these codes.
- Federal OSHA asbestos compliance directives and interpretations- Go to www.osha.gov/SLTC/asbestos/index.html
- Cal/OSHA asbestos contractor registration- Go to Asbestos Registration.
- Cal/OSHA asbestos consultant certification- See 8 CCR 341.15, www.dir.ca.gov/title8/ch3_2sb2a2_6.html 1529(q) and the Business and Professions Code Sections 7180-7189.7 at leginfo.legislature.ca.gov
- Cal/OSHA asbestos training provider certification - See 8 CCR 341.16 at www.dir.ca.gov/title8/ch3_2sb2a2_7.html and 1529 (k)(B)
Asbestos Registration: Explains the registration process
Asbestos Registrants: Lets you check the registration status of Cal/OSHA-registered asbestos contractors and employers
Asbestos Information: Provides general information, links to asbestos regulations, and notification rules
Asbestos Resources: Provides links to regulatory agencies, technical information and compliance data